Friday 15 October 2010

Rum Balls



I have been wondering how to make the Hungarian kókusz golyó ( literally coconut balls) for quite sometime. My search online brought me to this recipe. Looks easy enough for me. And I'm telling you now it is very easy to prepare! Just make sure you make it a day in advance of the day you plan to serve it.

I've scaled down the recipe to suit the quantity of biscuits in hand (about 110g crushed); which yield about 18 balls. The end result I think is quite similar to the original and B said so ,too :)

Note to self
1) Replaced Nice biscuits to local Győri Albert biscuits - scale down to 110g
2) Replaced sweetened condensed milk to home-made sugar syrup -50g sugar + 20ml hot water
3) Used essence of rum instead
4) Soaked raisins (sultanas) in sugar syrup, rum and vanilla extract before adding to dry ingredients.